Sunday, July 31, 2011

Adventures in Thailand

Hi Everyone!
Oh my gosh there is so much to tell you. Hannah and I have been in Bangkok now for about 3 days and we already have done sooooo much! Yesterday Mook took us to see our school and tried to open a bank account here (we have to wait until we get our student IDs to get a student account). We were able to drive by where we will be living and got to drive through our school which was super cool. We spent time in this HUGE shopping mall called Platinum (they pronounce is Plah-tee-num). It is a little overwhelming because there are so many vendors packed into one area! The only down side is that I have big feet and about the biggest size they have here a 40 or about a 9. Sometimes I fit in them sometimes I don't. It depends. but bags and shirts are a GO! they have the cutest stuff and the REALEST (I don't care if that isn't a word) knock offs I have ever seen. Our friend Toon told us that you can even buy a knock off MacBook! It's crazy! but I guess thats what you get when you live in the place that everything is made. So if anyone wants something let me know! I'll see what I can do :D

After shopping for a while, Mook took us to Hannah's cousins condo. Her names Taryn.  She works as an international marketing consultant for a fashion company here in Bangkok. She has the set up too! Her company owns her apartment unit and she gets to live there for free with her boyfriend Colin. They were kind enough to let us stay there for a night. We spent the day swimming in their infinite pool! It is like their own little oasis in the middle of the hot and humid Bangkok. Later we went to the part of the city called Khaosan Rd which is where all the foreigners go to party. Hannah and I don't really feel comfortable enough to party here because we don't really know where home base is. It's a really fun place though, so many people from so many different places. If someone asks you to go a ping pong show just know it has nothing to do with the game! Look it up.

Today we spent our day at this outdoor flea market. It was crazy! its 28 acres of vendors upon vendors! It's so easy to get lost there. But everything is so cheap! you can find the cutest things for so cheap. I found Ray Ban sunglasses for less than 10 dollars! We got a few other trinkets and I bought postcards! I will be sending some out tomorrow! This is definitely a place that me and Hannah are going to come back to. We spent 4 hours there and were not even close to covering the whole thing.

After the market we grabbed some dinner at a restaurant called Robin Hood. It is an Irish pub in the heart of Bangkok. All of us were craving American burgers and it didn't disappoint. It was a little more expensive than what I am used to paying but we still were able to feel 5 people for $62 total! pretty good deal.


This is the name of an accessory store in the Siam Paragon. Interesting..... Our friend Mook didn't know what it meant. That was an interesting conversation to say the least. I find that a lot of the people here in Bangkok don't understand english well enough to translate things accurately. For example, I stumbled across a shirt that read "Keep calm you C*UNTS".... I tried to take a picture of it but the store owner started yelling at me. That was another thing that Mook didn't realize was pretty offensive. Once again, another interesting conversation.


This is a lychee fruit! You cut it open and on the inside is a little clearish fruit. It's really good and really sweet! We bought a whole bag of these for about 80 Baht. (roughly $3)


Hannah and a lychee fruit!


Hannah and a lychee fruit again!


This is Hannah and her cousin Taryn. She is so cool! and so nice to let us stay at her awesome condo for free!


All three of us together!


Hannah, Taryn and their two friends


Hannah and I at the 28 acre flea market!


It's hard to tell but this says Thaibasco sauce.... a little different, but really not as good. :D


Hannah and I at Robin Hood. I got those hair beads at the flea market!


Taryn and her boyfriend Colin


This is our hotel room! So COOL!


This is our bathroom for 2 nights! 


REALLY COOL SHOWER!


We have our own balcony!


Awesome tub!


Sink!



After getting back from the market and dinner, we went back to Taryn and Colin's apartment and packed up our suitcases and got ready to move to our next place. When we first arrived in Bangkok, our friends Mook and Toon gave us complimentary gift certificates for 2 nights stay in this new hotel here in Bangkok. It is called the Siam Kempinski. It is the NICEST hotel either of us have ever been in! I can't believe we are staying in this hotel for free! I will include pictures of our room below. The entrance to this hotel is the most grandiose entrance EVER! We were planning on going to the Grand Palace tomorrow and some other site seeing places, but now we are thinking we might just hang out here for the next 2 days! I mean might as well! we have 5 months to see the Grand Palace. We are definitely taking advantage of the hotel gym! Tomorrow we are going to work out and go swimming.

Anyways thats all for now! Will update more later!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that it looks like you two are having an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up the ping pong thing...OMG! I love the pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete